Monsieur Cadet Hotel & Spa
the-st-leo-church-1924-1945

The St Leo Church (1924-1945) Latest blog

Here's another monument that stands for Paris interwar artistic mouvement: Art Deco. St Leo church was designed by Émile Brunet and constructed of concrete covered brick. It is typical of the 1930s and 1940s. 
The great merit of Emile Brunet lies in his success to harmonize the decoration with architecture, shapes and colors, choosing the various designers among the masters recognized since 1925 style "art deco "(Raymond Subes for wrought iron, Louis barrel for the main windows, Auguste Labouret for mosaics and stained-glass windows of the nave, Henri Bouchard for sculpture), himself drawing elements well matched to the rest: iron chandeliers hammered copper and glass cathedral, marble altar of Siena marble pulpit and hammered iron (removed after Vatican II), choir stalls, giant clams and baptismal font, confessionals. Great style homogeneity.
Many statues were acquired gradually, through donations and from 1940 to 1944, grants from the French government (administration Fine ATRS): Christ the Sacred Heart, St. Joseph and Child Jesus, Our Lady of Lourdes, St. Therese of the Child Jesus. All these statues, Bouchard or little known or unknown sculptors, have some form of unity, in the spirit of Art Deco styling and stiffness.
In summary here is a monument whose interest first is its perfect functionality, its suitability to host congregations, then to his great unity of style in the style of his time, which, in fact, has not aged, the style "Art Deco", even though the abundance of the mosaic and the presence of a chorus of dome cover also gives it some Byzantine look.